Thursday, January 7, 2010

Time to Come Clean About All the $$ I'm Bringing In!

Ha, I hope you laughed when you read the subject of this post. The reality is, I started this blog a year ago next month and I have made next to nothing on it, other than $5 Amazon gift cards for promoting Swagbucks. I'm ok with that, though, since I didn't start it with the intention of making money at all.

However, I want to ensure that I'm doing everything legally and in line with the new regulations that the FTC put in place for bloggers, effective December 1, 2009. Additionally, I'm hoping that 2010 will be the year when my blog does start earning a little bit of extra pocket cash for me. So, I want to let you know in advance which affiliates I work with. The recent Family Fun magazine deal that I advertised did get me a free 1 year subscription from them, but other than that, I have not been compensated in any way for any giveaways or anything. I'm hoping that I'll be able to start doing more reviews/giveaways in the future, and that in doing so, I'll be able to score some free products for my family, but we'll see. Below is a list of the affiliates that I have accounts with at this point:

Brandcaster (for the coupons.com advertising) By the way, you have to bring in $100 before you get a pay out from them, and I'm only like half way there after a year. However, if all of you could print your coupons.com coupons here, and tell your friends about my site - I'm hoping that might pick up the pace one of these days. :)

Amazon.com - I recently became part of the Amazon affiliates program, and I'm hoping to bring you lots of great Amazon deals going forward.

I also recently signed up with

Commission Junction
and
Google Ad Sense
(however I have not yet put up any ads for these 2 affiliates at all)

Please be aware of the fact that I LOVE doing this blog for the purpose of sharing great deals with my friends, family, and whoever else happens upon it. It's fun! That is the one and ONLY reason that I started it. I love getting deals, and I figure why not share the opportunity to get those deals with everybody I can. My main reason for doing some affiliate marketing is that I need to justify the crazy amount of time that I put into this thing. If it's bringing in a little bit of income, I'll feel a lot better about the hours I put in sharing the deals. Please know that I am very careful about the advertising that I post. No amount of $$ that a company is offering for their advertising would be worth posting bad deals or leading my readers astray!

If you have questions, feel free to visit the link HERE to learn more. You're welcome to ask questions in the comments, however I have to admit that I'm definitely not an expert in the area of these new guidelines.

There, now that we've gotten all of that out of the way, let's get back to bargain hunting!!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I have a question. I went to the link you provided and had a difficult navigating around to find my answer, so maybe you know. Is it okay for me to put widgets or whatever they're called onto the sidebar of my blogpage? I put a swagbucks one on there (after months of hearing you talk about it, I finally decided to do it), but maybe that's considered advertising and I need to disclose something about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, good question. Honestly, I think you're totally fine to promote swagbucks on your blog without any disclosures, but I don't know for sure. The impression I get is that it's more about product endorsements and stuff - they don't want people endorsing products and encouraging people to buy them so that they can get kickbacks out of the deal... You can go here to read the updated regulations, but I'm not sure if it will make things much clearer...
    http://ftc.gov/os/2009/10/091005revisedendorsementguides.pdf

    ReplyDelete