Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Do You Price Match?

I've had this question come up a few times. For any who might not know, Wal-Mart will price match any store's ad for an identical item. Rumor has it that Target is now offering the same option, however I didn't see it printed in our local ad here in Colorado this week. Does anybody else know if this area is participating in that offer? If so, I think I'd much rather price match at Target.

So, here's the long version of my answer to this question. Have I ever price matched? Yes. Do I do it often? No, and there are a few reasons. First, Wal-Mart does not double coupons, therefore the deals are often much sweeter at the actual store if they are King Soopers or Safeway deals. Second, Wal-Mart doesn't offer the CATALINAs that other stores offer during promotions. For example, this week at Albertsons if you buy 3 participating General Mills items, you get a CATALINA for a free gallon of milk on your next visit. Obviously you can go to Wal-Mart and price match the cereal, yogurt, fruit snacks, etc prices, however they're not going to give you a coupon for free milk. (By the way, we did a little family trip to Albertson's this evening because my hubby felt like getting out when he got home from work, and I did this promotion. Just so you know, I asked and was informed that you can do the deal as many times as you want, and for every 3 items, you get a coupon for a free gallon of milk. Be careful though because the milk coupons obviously expire. The ones I got tonight expire on 7/29, so plenty of time for us to use the 2 gallons of milk we scored. :)) OK, sorry for the off subject babble. On to the other reasons I don't price match much... Personally, I think it's kind of a pain. I'd really rather go to the stores I need to go to most weeks than to go to Wal-Mart and try to keep my stuff organized in a way that I can make sure I get all of the right prices at the end. Since most of my shopping trips happen with 3 little ones in tow, there is not a lot of time or patience for extreme organization. The last reason I have is that...let's be honest, Wal-Mart is not known for its customer service, and the reality is, I don't always trust that the poor cashier is going to be able to get it all straight. I'm not saying anything bad about the cashiers...I'm just saying that they're busy, it's a pain for them and for me, and my shopping trips are typically too chaotic for me to keep a close eye and make sure I'm getting the right deals all the time.

All that being said, I have price matched all of one time since I started this couponing adventure back in January. And, I have to say that it wasn't so bad. I only did it for one ad. I tend not to get to Albertsons much because it's further away from us than the other stores, and they were having some good produce deals one week. So, I had to go to Wal-Mart for something else anyway, and I went ahead and got the produce items, saved them for the end of my order, and just showed the ad. It worked out just fine and the cashier was very nice about it. So, I would be willing to do it again for some really good deals on a week that I just wasn't going to be able to make it to a particular store.

I'd love to hear from all of you about whether or not you price match, so please feel free to leave your comments!!

2 comments:

  1. I don't price match often, but am finding that I prefer to price match a few things from the farther away stores instead of dragging my five kids all over with me. They hate shopping, and I hate to push my luck. I have matched off and on for a few years now, and while the cashiers can get cranky during the busier times, they generally seem impressed with the savings I get. So that's my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This has nothing to do with your post... I just thought I'd let you and your readers know that The Children's Place is having a $3.99 and under sale- there are shirts, shorts, skirts, dresses... all for under $3.99!! Just go to their website, click on the size you need and click on the sale link. There are a lot of items under $2.99!)
    www.childrensplace.com

    ReplyDelete