Friday, April 24, 2009

Money Saving Methods Outside of the Bargain/Coupon Shopping

So I've been wanting to do a post about a couple of good ways to save money on things you need other than the coupon/sale matching, drug store bargain finding, etc. I'm sure that most of you know about craigslist, and if you don't, you should definitely get to know it. HERE is the link to go check it out. I've used it to buy several items and have had great success with it. A few weeks ago I was needing a booster car seat for my 3 year old and I was planning to run to Target and get one. I decided before I left to just quickly check craigslist and see if there was anything decent out there. Turned out that a family was selling like 4 different booster seats for $8 a piece. I met them on base nearby, and I ended up buying a booster seat for $8 AND the super nice people said here, just take both of these, it's nice to have one for each car, so I got 2 booster seats in great shape for $8. Loving it, and my little boy was SO excited! I've also used craigslist to sell a few things. And, every area's craiglist site has a FREE section where people post free items that they want to get rid of. If you're one that is not in the loop about craigslist, you really ought to check it out! :)


Now, as I said - I'm sure that most of you have heard of and are probably using craigslist yourselves. However, another option that you may not be aware of is called Freecycle. Go HERE to find a Freecycle group in your area. You join the group, and then you can sign up to receive an email every time somebody posts something (I'd recommend setting up an email address specifically for freecycle emails.) Anyway, the whole point of Freecycle is to keep good, usable items out of landfills. You can post things you'd like to get rid of as well as things you're looking for. You'd be amazed what you can find on there. People list everything from newspapers to clothes to computers to treadmills to furniture to appliances, etc etc. I recently got rid of a small stack of Highlights magazines from like a year ago since my daughter has all of her more current ones to look at. They went to a family who was so excited to have them for their kids, and if I hadn't posted them on freecycle - they would have just headed for the landfill. The great thing about freecycle is that everything posted must be absolutely FREE! It is not a place for people to sell things. So, just thought I'd throw this out there. If you haven't checked it out yet, you may want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment